Monday, February 21, 2011

Church History and Martyrs

“Error never shows itself in its naked reality, in order not to be discovered.  On the contrary, it dresses elegantly, so that the unwary may be led to believe that it is more truthful than truth itself” (Irenaeus of Lyons, c. 180). 

Church history is one of the seminary classes I’m taking this semester.  One of the study questions is:  Why is studying church history important?  What’s funny is even before I reviewed the study questions I was already being moved by text in my history book.  Even though I’ve only been in class for a week and am by no means an expert, I do have a few observations that I believe are important to faith today.

Many of today’s anti-Christian tactics date back to the first and second centuries after Pentecost.  For instance, one of the first accusations against Christianity was that followers were obstinate and uncultured barbarians.  The early apologists, Felix, Martyr, and Origen, to name a few, mounted up responses to these accusations.  They successfully showed how Christianity in general, and how Jesus specifically, was relevant to all strata of society.  Their responses were not based in trying to inflict harm or spew verbal venom, but were instead well thought out and articulate treatises to a watching world.  In fact, Justin Martyr was quoted as saying. “We do not seek to flatter you,…but request that you judge on the basis of a proper and thorough investigation.”   

Back then, just like today, the majority of accusations were based in ignorance and fear of the faith rather than in studied understanding of the finer aspects of following Christ.  And isn’t it ironic how much of today’s mainstream media casts Christians in a similar light as the pagans from A.D 100? 

Another interesting aspect was various movements proclaiming to have a special knowledge of the Supreme Being.  Back then, just as now, these claims were based on nothing more than whim and fancy (the two I’m specifically referring to are Gnosticism and Marcion ca. A.D. 117-138).  These are not unlike some of today’s fad religions and cults.  In fact, there are movements today where people believe in a pantheistic approach to God, meaning they think God is in everything.  Granted, He is everywhere-present (see Psalms 18, 19, and 69) but God is not that rock or that tree, and I am certainly not God nor will I ever become a god! 

One key I’ve learned over the years is if someone is proclaiming to have special or extra knowledge that is not backed up by the Bible, then they’re probably trying to construct a system that either worships themselves or excuses their immorality.  Either way, these are old tactics meant to cause us to stray from the truth. 

Another fact that hit me upside the head was the severe persecution in the first three centuries (that’s as far as I’ve gotten so far).  From Pentecost on, various Roman emperors employed an arsenal of cruelty to get Christians to either recant their faith or die.  That’s right, I said die; these people lost their lives because of their faith, and many of them died horribly cruel and lingering deaths.  These weren’t people who had friends or colleagues simply criticizing them because they followed Jesus, they were instead being turned over to the authorities to be tortured and eventually executed for their stand in Christ.  Wow!  I’ve had my share of barbs over the years because of my faith, but nothing even remotely to what these early, brave brothers and sisters in the Lord endured. 

What’s even more astounding is the martyrdom occurring right now throughout the world.  Many of our brothers and sisters are suffering greatly for their faith even as I’m writing this.

While I realize these are two big topics, I’ve run out of time for today.  But what I want to explore, providing I get some comments, is how should we respond to the current criticisms leveled against Christianity?  How should a 21st Century apologist respond?  How are many of them responding and are their responses turning hearts to the Lord or merely driving deeper wedges between Christianity and the skeptical world? 

And what about martyrs:  What debts of gratitude do we owe them and how should we respond to the martyrdom occurring right now in the world? 

I welcome any comments you may have provided they’re civil and constructive.

3 comments:

  1. These are some pretty heavy and important thoughts, bro. In regard to the martyrs, I think that the most obvious response we must have is prayer. The Scriptures are clear that until Christ returns, some people will be called to give their life for His kingdom. Our responsibility is to answer that call if it is ours and to pray for those in areas of intense persecution.

    When it comes to how a 21st century apologist should respond, I would say with humility and the taking of responsibility. The truth is, in trying to defend our beliefs, the Church as pushed non-believers even further from their Creator. On our student ministry blog I wrote this regarding apologetics:

    "in the end perfectly articulated arguments, wonderfully polished defenses, and the most righteous of political stands will never soften a person’s heart toward Jesus as effectively as them witnessing authentic, genuine, loving Christian community."

    It seems clear that the early church was persecuted beyond what us Westerners could imagine. They were forced to live in close, genuine communities. They weren't out trying to legislate morality or force society to live like redeemed people when they hadn't yet been redeemed. Instead they loved Jesus, each other, and the lost RADICALLY... "and the Lord added to their number daily."

    I think the best way for us to "defend the faith" is to actually live in a way that reflects the faith accurately. The most effective to way spread Christianity has never been in a large corporate/political way, but rather in homes and neighborhoods.

    Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely resonate with what you're saying. I appreciate your time and effort, it's really helpful to me and to anyone wanting to refine their walk with Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I resort to the best option for defending the faith is by abiding (following/ learning/ surrendering/ trusting) in Christ every moment. I trust He is able to work through me even moreso when I abide in Him. Can we really devise somekind of plan on how we might do this better than simply abiding in Christ and following Him? Moses kinda thought he wasn't the best speaker as he was not so eloquent, didn't seem to matter much to God did it? We have the Holy Spirits to lead us & empower us. He will bring to our rememberance the things Jesus told us. The operative word is "rememberance" hence we need to first hear it by reading His Word in order for it to be brought to our rememberance! So we need to feed on God's Word all the time, chewing it up in every circumstance, interpreting our lives and experiences thru God's Word. An answer to every man in season and out of season. And God doesnt just confine us to the use of His Scripture but He has left for us historical evidence from those in the secular world and also nature/science that confirms and validates the reality of the one true, Living God.

    Now in terms of how people respond to the way Christians are approaching the matter - well, the scripture is clear how they will take the fragrance of the knowledge of Him..."For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. The one we are the smell of death; the the other, the fragrance of life." 2 Cor 2: 15-16. So I am not so sure it is the approach we take but the smell we emit to the listener... So the one being saved will gravitate closer like the pull of grandma's homemade bread in the oven but the other that smells death will want to kill the one sending the fragrance.... hence persecution.

    Finally, regarding martyrs. Yes prayer is likely our greatest spiritual act for them. But even moreso taking it deeper home, right here and now, we should swallow the hard truth others are dying for simply claiming belief in Christ or sharing the gospel. In our freedom now in the US, we should be ashamed that we dont share Christ more boldly when our greatest fear is only rejection or loss of a job or being called weird. I count myself ashamed at times but hold strong that Christ is not through with me yet!

    I love to defend my savior. I will do it because Jesus put it in my heart & brings people across my path. I do not want blood on my hands for not sharing the knowledge of God. I am not so sure I have much power to really effect or thwart God's intentions on whether He opens their eyes or exchanges their heart of stone to a heart of flesh to receive the things of God? I just know He is a master at orchestrating more than I can dare to imagine and I am in that picture now and want to be worked in as much as His pleases to use me!

    Pursuing God, Phyllis F.

    ReplyDelete