Sunday, April 17, 2011

Triumphal Entry: A Personal Reflection

As Jesus entered Jerusalem on a colt, His disciples celebrated with great rejoicing.  They even laid their own coats or cut down palm branches to line the path the colt was taking into town.  The air was electric as the people rejoiced and praised God “for all the mighty works they had seen” (Luke 19:37 ESV). And yet only a few short days later they were reviling Him and calling for His crucifixion. 

The fickleness of the human heart seems to sometimes verge on the insane, one day there is great celebration for a man’s life but a few short days later the same celebrants are now calling for his execution.  There is much psychological and theological fodder in just this one record, but I’m concerned for how my own heart exhibits the same fickleness. 

Today my take-away from this record is a stark reminder of how I had once celebrated the entry of Jesus into my heart and life; but now, many years later I have to confess that over time that joy has been tarnished, if not completely supplanted, by the cares and concerns of this life.  As the psalmist wrote, I also lament, “Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit” (Psalm 51:12 NKJV). 

I must continue reminding myself of the great works God has already wrought in my life. Even though bills increase while my pay decreases, God is still sovereign.  Even though my children cause worry I’ve never encountered before, God is the Father of all of us and will not leave nor forsake us.  While my finite perspective is indeed limited and often frustrated, God’s perspective is vaster than the human mind can begin to comprehend. 

So on this Palm Sunday 2011, my reflection and prayer is to have joy restored in my soul because that’s what I see as lacking in our culture and in my life.  We have more luxuries than at any other time in our history, yet life seems joyless and gray.  But the joy that comes from God will renew our vigor for living and will draw people to Jesus as the one antidote to the very prevalent fear and worry permeating our culture. 

May the triumphal entry of Jesus into our hearts and lives grow day by day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment