Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mercy (a poem)

Here I am yet again,
To begin anew…again.

God of patience, God of kindness
Do not rebuke me from Your sight.

For though I stumble, and yes I fall,
By Your grace I'm rescued from my plight.

To me this burden is very heavy,
I cannot carry such a load.

But You won’t leave me because 
You’ve already walked this lonely road.

So it's to You I run, collapsing
exhausted at Your feet.

And laying there in this state,
It’s with Your touch I feel complete.
 
So in Your strength I persevere
Moment-by-moment and day-by-day.
 
And in Your love I will not fear
As I stand again and begin to pray.

Author note: yeah, I know it ain't Yeats, but what can I say, it came from the heart.  What's really interesting, is I wrote this in my Journal on September 24, seven days before I was knocked out and carted off in an ambulance.  I guess it was the beginning of entering into a new season of life for learning how much God's really in control in spite of my own human efforts.   

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful psalm of your heart, Craig. I hope it is the first of many others you will write. I think that just like David, the songwriter, singer and shepherd of Israel, you, too, are a man after God's own heart. May the Lord bless you and keep you - and grant you the desires of your heart.

    ReplyDelete